What is Caesarean section and why does it cause weight gain?
Caesarean section is a method of delivery when it is necessary for the health of mother and baby. Women who give birth by caesarean section may gain more weight than women who give birth normally. Among the reasons for this are the following:
- Caesarean Sectionis a surgical intervention that damages the muscles and tissues in the abdominal region. Therefore, fat, sagging and stretch marks may occur in the abdominal area.
- After caesarean section The recovery process is longer and more difficult than normal labour. Women may experience restricted mobility, use painkillers and have increased stress levels. These factors slow down metabolism and facilitate weight gain.
- Breastfeeding after a caesarean section may be more difficult than after a normal birth. Breastfeeding is beneficial for both mother and baby. Breastfeeding women can lose weight faster than non-breastfeeding women. However, women who have had a sesarean section may have problems with breastfeeding, their milk production may decrease or they may stop breastfeeding. This can be a barrier to weight loss.
What to do to lose weight after caesarean section?
It is not right to rush, unhealthy diets or excessive exercise to lose weight after caesarean section. Healthy and effective methods for losing weight after caesarean section are as follows:
- Caesarean Section Postnatal nutrition is important for both mother and baby. Nutrition affects both the healing process and the weight loss process. Points to be considered in nutrition after caesarean section are as follows:
- Reducing calorie intake is a basic condition for weight loss. However, restricting calorie intake too much can be harmful for both mother and baby. Women after caesarean section should eat at least 1800-2000 calories a day. This can increase to 2200-2400 calories for breastfeeding women.
- When reducing calorie intake, foods with high nutritional value should be preferred. Foods such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, lean meat, fish, eggs, milk and dairy products, nuts and seeds provide vitamins, minerals, protein, fibre and healthy fats for both mother and baby. These foods provide both satiety and energy.
- It is necessary to avoid foods such as sugar, salt, fat, flour, pastry, fast food, ready-made food, fizzy drinks, alcoholic drinks, caffeinated drinks, chocolate, cakes, cakes, biscuits. These foods can cause both weight gain and health problems. They can also cause problems such as allergies, gas, colic and constipation for the baby.
- Increasing water consumption is beneficial for both mother and baby. Water both accelerates metabolism and removes toxins. Water increases both milk production and milk quality. Water protects both skin health and intestinal health. Women after caesarean section should drink at least 2-3 litres of water a day.
- Exercise after caesarean section is important for both weight loss and maintaining health. However, it is necessary to get the doctor's approval to start exercising. The points to be considered in exercise after caesarean section are as follows:
- You should wait at least 6 weeks to start exercising. This period may vary depending on the healing process and the condition of the person. It is necessary to act according to the doctor's advice.
- Exercise should start slowly and lightly. Exercises such as walking, cycling, swimming, pilates, yoga may be suitable for women after caesarean section. However, exercises that put pressure on the abdomen, such as jumping, running, weight lifting, sit-ups, push-ups should be avoided.
- The duration and intensity of exercise should be increased over time. Exercising 3-4 days a week for 20-30 minutes a day may be sufficient for weight loss after caesarean section. However, this duration and intensity may vary according to the person's fitness and goal. It is necessary to exercise without forcing yourself, listening and enjoying yourself.
- Lifestyle is as important as nutrition and exercise for weight loss after caesarean section. Some lifestyle changes can be beneficial for both weight loss and health. Points to be considered in lifestyle are as follows:
- Sleep is very important for both mother and baby. Sleep affects both physical and mental health. Sleep regulates both metabolism and hormones. Sleep reduces both stress and appetite. Women after caesarean section should try to sleep at least 7-8 hours a day. Adapting to the baby's sleep patterns can be useful to improve sleep quality.
- Stress is harmful for both mother and baby. Stress can cause both weight gain and health problems. Stress can reduce both milk production and milk quality. Stress can impair both skin health and bowel health. Women after caesarean section should try various methods to reduce stress. Activities such as meditation, breathing exercises, music, books, hobbies, friends and family can help reduce stress.
- Support is necessary for both mother and baby. Women after caesarean section should receive both physical and emotional support. People and institutions such as spouse, family, friends, doctor, nurse, psychologist, dietician, physiotherapist can support women after caesarean section. Receiving support can have positive effects on both weight loss and health.
Benefits and consequences of weight loss after caesarean section
Losing weight after a caesarean section has many benefits for both mother and baby. The benefits and results of weight loss after caesarean section are as follows:
- Losing weight after caesarean section protects maternal health. Losing weight reduces the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol, cancer and helps to heal abdominal fat, sagging and stretch marks.
- Losing weight after caesarean section improves maternal psychology. Losing weight increases both self-confidence and self-esteem. Weight loss reduces emotional problems such as depression, anxiety, stress and improves body image and sexual life.
- Losing weight after cesarean section protects the baby's health. Losing weight increases both milk production and milk quality. Losing weight provides the necessary nutrients for the baby and prevents problems such as allergies, gas, colic, constipation.
- Losing weight after caesarean section improves baby psychology. Losing weight supports both mother-baby bonding and baby development. Losing weight creates a safe environment for the baby and allows the baby to interact more with the mother.
Losing weight after caesarean section is the key to a healthy and happy life for both mother and baby. Applying healthy and effective methods to lose weight after caesarean section provides both physical and mental benefits. Trust yourself, be patient and get support to lose weight after caesarean section. Losing weight after caesarean section is your and your baby's right.